Mommy Mindy

Mommy Mindy

Monday, May 9, 2011

Denver Promise Walk for Preeclampsia




As most of you know, I developed severe preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome at 36 weeks gestation, which resulted in an emergency c-section and the birth of my premature daughter, Lily. My body was deteriorating at such a rate that the doctors were forced to transfuse me three times with blood platelets to save my life. Lily was small, 4lbs 10oz, but was strong enough to avoid a stay in the NICU. My body began to slowly recover and after four days in the hospital we returned home together.

After her birth, I wanted to know as much as I could about this mysterious disease and stumbbled across the Preeclampsia Foundation's website. The website not only provided me with a wealth of information about preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome, but their forums gave me a place to connect with other survivors, to heal the emotional wounds and find strength to pursue another pregnancy. Today I continue to participate on the forums to pay it forward to other survivors, to give them hope for healthy pregnancies and arm them with knowledge.

Three years later, I'm proudly co-coordinating the Denver Promise Walk for Preeclampsia to help raise awareness, find a cause and a cure for this disease that threatened the life of myself and my beautiful daughter Lily. All proceeds of the walk benefit the Preeclampsia Foundation to fund research to find a cause and cure, provide information to patients and doctors, and to maintain their website (which I've found so incredibly useful). Please register to walk with us on June 26th, 2011 at City Park in Denver or donate today! www.promisewalk.org

Join Team Boo and HELLP me find a cure for preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome!